Tokaido Shinkansen's Information

General Information of Tokaido Shinkansen

Tokaido Shinkansen is a high-speed rail line between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka (515.4 km), via 15 stations such as Shin-Yokohama, Nagoya and Kyoto. The fastest train travels between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka for 2 hours 25 minutes. 338 trains on average of 2014′s April – June run a day. There are three kinds of trains running; the super express servicing Nozomi, express Hikari and local Kodama. Some of Nozomi and Hikari goes through to Sanyo Shinkansen beyond Shin-Osaka.

Trains and Stations on Tokaido Shinkansen

  • rough standardtime
    from Tokyo (min)
    Nozomi
    Hikari
    Kodama
  • Tokyo
    0
    6
    6
    6
  • Shinagawa
    6
    11
    11
    11
  • Shin-Yokohama
    18
    82
    15
    15
  • Odawara
    34
    8
  • Atami
    39
    7
  • Mishima
    44
    18
    10
  • Shin-Fuji
    54*
    12
  • Shizuoka
    1h03
    21
    14
  • Kakegawa
    1h17*
    11
  • Hamamatsu
    1h29
    12
    12
  • Toyohashi
    1h23
    20
    14
  • Mikawa-Anjo
    1h37*
    12
  • Nagoya
    1h41
    35
    10
    10
  • Gifu-Hashima
    1h51*
    13
    13
  • Maibara
    2h07*
    20
    20
  • Kyoto
    2h17
    13
    13
    13
  • Shin-Osaka
    2h33

The figure above shows Stations and stopping trains on Tokaido Shinkansen. In the station name's box, marked of "" means most trains stop there and "" means most trains pass. Figures between stations are required times to travel between those stations. "*" in the rough standardtime box means need to change trains on the way, and figures don't include transferring time.

Tokaido Shinkansen has 188 Nozomi service a day. All Nozomi trains stop at Tokyo, Shinagawa, Shin-Yokohama, Nagoya, Kyoto and Shin-Osaka. About 40% of them travels from / to Shin-Osaka, the other 60% travel through Sanyo Shinkansen. Most longest leg by Nozomi is between Tokyo and Hakata, available 90 services a day.

Hikari has 64 services a day. All Hikari trains stop at Nozomi stopping stations of Tokyo, Shinagawa, Shin-Yokohama, Nagoya, Kyoto and Shin-Osaka. Additional stops are differ from train by train. No Hikari stopping stations between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka is only three, that is Shin-Fuji, Kakegawa and Mikawa-Anjo. About 60% of them travels between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka and the other 40% go through Sanyo Shinkansen. The longest legs by Hikari are from Shin-Yokohama to Hiroshima and from Hiroshima to Tokyo. Each of them are one service in early morning.

Most Hikari available station excepting Nozomi stopping stations is Shizuoka, followed by Hamamatsu, Gifu-Hashima and Maibara. More than one of two Hikari stop at these station. Basically? Hikari stopping at Shizuoka and Hamamatsu passes Gifu-Hashima and Maibara, and Hikari stopping at Gifu-Hashima and Maibara passses Shizuoka and Hamamatsu. Otherwise, about 20% of Hikari trains stop at Odawara and Toyohashi. The Hikari stopping at Atami and Mishima are less than 20% in all Hikari services.

83 of Kodama services are available on Tokaido Shinkansen. Kodama train stops all stations during the travel. About 36% of them travel between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka, and other 40% between Tokyo and Nagoya. The Kodama services between Tokyo and Mishima / Shizuoka / Hamamatsu, between Mishima / Shizuoka / Nagoya and Shin-Osaka are available a few.